Despite popularity and controversy over top costumes of 2015, pick one that makes you feel comfortable

Andrea Hernandez, Staff Reporter

The trending movie characters from 2015 are not done yet.

The top ranked halloween costumes of 2015 majority seems to be based on movies. NBC’s today list “Top costumes for adults” includes “Batman” ranked at number one, followed by characters from the film “Frozen” and “Alice in Wonderland”.

Students were asked as to why they believe most costumes are trending this year and why. Many answered and pointed more to the fact that majority of characters that were top ranked take place in Disney films. “Disney movies are fun for all ages, and they are for everyone to enjoy, it can be an option for anyone and it is not limited to appeal to certain people”, said sophomore Kaitlyn Castro.

However, not all of the costumes new this year are as easy to appeal to. The Caitlyn Jenner costume was brought to their attention. This costume includes the pageant sash and outfit worn in the famous magazine cover. It has caused a lot of controversy towards the stores who remain selling it and refuse to stop. These stores have been asked to stop and petitions are being used to enforce the costume to be banned.

“It took a lot for Caitlyn Jenner to be who she really was in public, and it is wrong for people to give her a hard time for it, it is not in any way humorous to be transgender therefore it is wrong for people to make fun of it”, is sophomore Lindsay Ferrell’s response. It is clear that people are taking it as a sensitive topic and a sense of mockery, therefore the costume just brings the wrong idea to people, even if it is not intended that way.

But if you are looking to push the envelope with a politically incorrect costume, rest assured: even Caitlyn Jenner doesn’t take the costume too seriously.

“You’ve got to enjoy life. Life’s too short.bi can’t get too upset about that type of stuff,” Jenner said in a Today interview.

Another thing brought to the attention of many is the way the costumes are being put together this year. The “Do It Yourself” or “DIY” costumes are trending as well.

According to the website doughmain.com, “One of the biggest advantages to making homemade costumes is the cost”. They emphasize the fact that DIY’s would not be as pricey considering most materials are at hand at home.

Although some go all out for their halloween costumes, majority of students asked on the maximum price they would purchase one for said they would spend no more than $30.00 on their costume and prefer it to be unique rather than the common ones. It is a day to be different.

Halloween is the one day of the year where people can dress uniquely without hesitation.