Overview: Advanced Theater Arts

Katie Seleb, Staff Reporter

Starting the 2021-2022 school year of Bishop Noll are countless new courses, one of which is the new Advanced Theater Arts course! It’s taught by three-year Drama Club director and speech and theater teacher Mrs. Kayla Konkle. According to the Bishop Noll Course Selection Guide for the 2021-2022 school year, “Students enrolled in Advanced Theater Arts read and analyze plays and apply criteria to make informed judgements.”

Having built up the skill in Theater Arts, Advanced Theater will shift its focus to full classroom productions and advanced acting techniques. “I want to be able to focus on key acting techniques and explore character studies that we normally wouldn’t have time for,” says Mrs K, director of the drama club and Speech and Theater teacher at Bishop Noll. “I wanted to teach this course,” Mrs. K writes, “because I wanted an opportunity for students to really explore their acting ability outside of production season.”

“Advanced Theatre Arts was added to the course list this year after being requested by both students and faculty,” writes Mrs. Kielbasa, head counselor and course approver. “It is meant to help offer students interested in Theatre a way to study this area in a more in-depth manner.” She writes that this course, as many others, were added as an opportunity to let students explore their options, as well as add more options for the Graduation Pathway requirements.

You can enroll for this class if you’ve gotten approval from Mrs K or if you’ve been in Theater Arts 1.