Dance team places 1st at Kokomo competition

Lucas Glazewski, Staff Reporter

As the 2016 BNI dance team continues their winter season, they’ve already begun with an excellent start, placing first in all categories at the Indiana High School Dance Team competition at Kokomo High School competition on Dec. 3   

“It was the first competition of the season, but there are a lot more that we compete in later in January and February”, says junior Alejandra Perez.

According to Perez,  the team has been working on some new dance moves.

“This season, the team is working on a Pom dance as well as a hip hop dance. We also have a group of three girls doing an ensemble, basically a small group of dancers that do a dance more jazz and ballet oriented than Pom or hip hop. We also have two seniors doing solos,”, she says.

Perez said the team has personal goals, as well as team goals, that they’d like to reach before the end of the season. Better turns, higher jumps, more flexibility, and higher scores all serve as fodder for their ultimate goal: a first place trophy at State.

“We really hope to reach State again in New Castle as the team has in previous years and keep a strong reputation for the Bishop Noll dance team. Practice makes perfect. Long practices, tiring conditioning, and focus and determination can get us to where we want to be by the end of the season,” Perez says.

Fans can see the dance team perform at home at on Jan. 6 at 7:00 as the varsity basketball team takes on Marquette.

Save