BNI looks to 1:1 initiative with Macbooks

Megan Martinez, Staff Reporter

With the school planning on moving to a 1-to-1 device program, Bishop Noll hopes to introduce Macbook Airs for student use in the 2016-2017 school year, phasing out the current Chromebooks, which have been used for the past few years.

While there is no definite guarantee that the Macbook program will be implemented as early as next year, as long as the school’s network is approved to handle a large amount of students on Wi-Fi at once, Mr. Stafford hopes to move forward with plans on distributing Macbook Airs to students for in-school and personal use. However, the effect of the cost of implementing the program has not yet been determined.

Current Macbook users are excited that the school is trying to turn to a more technological program.

“Macbooks are the best laptop to have for school. They are easy to use and allow you to use apps like Google Drive and Google Docs right away, and they are a lot more durable than say the Chromebooks we use now,” said junior Edward Zarndt.

Currently, most of the classrooms in the school use Chromebooks in carts for work in class only. Students cannot take these laptops home.

According to Stafford, Macbook Airs have more capabilities.“Students need access to computers for everything,” he said.

Not only would students have the Macbooks for school work, they’d also be allowed to have them for outside of school. Students would be allowed to take the laptops home over the weekend and be able to use them as their own.

By introducing this program, Stafford hopes to allow students to have access to more information quickly and easily. “The curriculum becomes more alive,” he said.