Fr. Kevin Scalf appointed as Missionary of Mercy

Megan Martinez, Staff Reporter

It was announced on Ash Wednesday that Bishop Noll’s campus chaplain Father Kevin Scalf has been appointed as a Missionary of Mercy by Pope Francis.

“It is an honor and privilege to be recommended for this appointment by the Holy Father. The good people of the Diocese of Gary have reflected for me the mercy of Christ in my ten years here as a Missionary of the Precious Blood, first as a seminarian, then a transitional deacon, and now a priest,” Scalf said. “This recognition is truly a celebration of God’s goodness, opulent throughout every person within the Diocese.”

A Missionary of Mercy is a priest that has been given authority by the pope to give missions or facilitate specific initiatives for the Jubilee, specifically relating to the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Priests are appointed by their local bishops to serve dioceses around the world to preach, lead spiritual retreats and workshops, and hear confessions.

Noll’s administration takes pride in Scalf’s new role now and considers him a representative of Noll as the chaplain and member of the school board.  

“All of us at Bishop Noll are very blessed to have him as a friend, mentor and colleague. I don’t think it’s an overstatement by any means to say his ministry at Noll has helped make all of us here, students and adults, stronger in our faith,” said Bishop Noll president, Mr. Paul Mullaney.

Despite this new role, students who have been looking forward to having Fr. Kevin as a teacher have no need to worry.

“Father Kevin’s time at Noll will not, in general, be affected by his papal appointment, although there could be a reason he might make an additional trip or two here tied to reconciliation or related celebrations,” said Mullaney.  

No matter what this new role entails, Scalf remains thankful.

“I’ve been blessed to have some amazing models of mercy throughout my life, including my parents and friends, members of our Precious Blood family, former and current students, local priests and laity, and uniquely in Bishops Hying and Melczek,” he said. “I’ve always found it easy to see the mercy of Christ working through them in simple ways that, upon further reflection, are far from simple. These are great people who have taught me to see God’s face, and not my own, in every encounter with God’s creation.”