Noll’s speech team receives 2nd place Catholic State Championship

Chasity Parks, Staff Reporter

The two speech State finalists last year, sophomores Kiara Rivera and Jacqueline Vasquez returned to State at Fishers High School last February to compete in their specialized categories. Despite not making it to the semi-finals at the Indiana High School Forensics Association tournament , the state-qualifying sophomores–alongside junior Angela Luna, sophomore Abbi Kawalec, and senior Rebecca Vazquez—took home a 2nd place trophy at the Indiana State Catholic School Championship at Marian University on April 13.

Kiara explained that the IHSFA State championship was challenging, but determination was the key to making it to finals. Confidence was also essential during these tournaments because these students were competing against some of the best speakers in Indiana and according to Kiara, “They don’t give up easy.”

Kiara was most excited about the great competition there was and how much fun she knew it would be.

Jacqueline knew she had to improve the memorization of her speeches and her confidence when speaking. Although she was nervous that she wouldn’t do well, she said she was excited to be at the tournament with her friends and to see what the day would hold. Jacqueline was just four points away from breaking to the semi- final, which pinned the top twelve speakers in the state.

“My goal going into the tournament was to at least break once because I didn’t last year so I was very happy that I did this year,” she said.

After a let-down at State, Noll’s speech team was excited for the inaugural state tournament for Catholic schools, which hosted five Catholic high schools. Bishop Noll’s small team of only five speakers won 2nd place overall in the tournament. Angela Luna was the Indiana Catholic state champion in Informative Speaking and was also named the overall individual state champion of the entire tournament. Abigail Kawalec was the state runner-up in Broadcasting, and Rebecca Vazquez was the state runner-up in Original Oratory.

Angela, whose main piece for Informative Speaking was called “Bordering Up”, said her main focus was on confidence.

“It doesn’t matter how much you practice or how good your piece is if you don’t exhibit confidence,” said Angela, who was the only speaker in the competition to triple letter.

After such a successful inaugural competition, Noll’s speech team is anxious to return to the Catholic State meet again next season.

“I think there is going to be a rivalry after state. I believe because of this we, have to work harder and practice more. I know we are capable, practice just makes perfect,” Angela said.