Martin Luther King Jr. essay contest open to Bishop Noll students

Last year’s 3rd place winner advises students to participate

Ceasar Perez, Staff Reporter

The Northwest Indiana Ecumenical Committee is sponsoring a Martin Luther King, Jr.  essay contest under the leadership of Rev. Dwight Gardner and Ms. Gloria Griffin, according to Ms. Ashley Comer, guidance counselor. The essay, which is an analysis of MLK’s quote, “Give us the ballot, and we will no longer have to worry the federal government about our basic rights,” will award three scholarships of $700, $500 and $300 to the finalists. The contest is open to all students.

According to Comer, other schools in Northwest Indiana have been invited to participate in the contest, but Bishop Noll students have a good chance at obtaining one of the prizes.

“Essays are judged on content, originality, research, and clarity of expression and development of plan,” Comer said. 

Last year, sophomore Eric Copeland, who received a 3rd place prize of $300, explained that the essay gives students the opportunity to put themselves out there and build a well known foundation for their future selves.

“This also opens the opportunity to be a bit competitive, using a skill (writing) that we will very much need all of our lives,” Copeland said. 

At the time Copeland didn’t know he was going to win the third place prize of $300. 

“Because I am and always have been a giving person, I told them to keep the money and give it to someone who needs it,” he said. 

He mentioned that if there’s an opportunity opened up for you, whether it’s small or big, run for it. By participating in opportunities like this scholarship, Copeland even got to know Karen Freeman-Wilson, the former mayor of Gary and a state representative a bit more and still keeps in contact with them. 

“Even opportunities this small, can expose you to much more substantial opportunities and even people,” he said.

Essay submissions are due to Ms. Comer no later than January 14th.