First NHS blood drive of the school year scheduled for Oct. 23

All donors will receive COVID-19 antibody test

Jaclyn Wooley, Staff Reporter

Bishop Noll’s first blood drive of the year was rescheduled to Oct. 23 after a September COVID case among the school community led to its cancellation. This year, social distancing rules will require the blood drive to be held outside. 

The Bishop Noll National Honor Society, organizers of the blood drive, have a slightly different approach to this year’s promotion because of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“This year there is a dire need for blood, so it is more important than ever to donate blood if you are eligible,” said senior blood drive chairperson Abigail Kawalec.

Additionally, donors during this time get an added bonus. “A unique aspect of having a blood drive during the COVID-19 pandemic is that every donor will receive a COVID antibody test,” Kawalec said. “This test will determine if the donor has ever had COVID-19, and if so, they could be eligible to donate plasma which will be used to help people currently fighting COVID.”

To participate in the blood drive you do have to be 16 with a parent’s permission. 

The NHS also cautions students to be conscious of a blood drive cancellation. It’s better to donate now instead of waiting for a future drive. “There are supposed to be 4 blood drives this year, but with the pandemic, you never know,” said senior co-chairperson Emma Short.