New Grading Scale Starting Next School Year

Grading Scale

An overview of the new Diocesan grading scale system that is set to be implemented next school year.

Grace, Staff Reporter

With the 2022-2023 school year coming to an end in a little over six6 weeks, many changes to the school are set to be implemented next school year. One of the biggest changes that will be made is the new grading scale. The new scale was established  with the Diocesan department chairs prior to the Covid pandemic. However, the switch was put off the past two school years due to students being virtual and not having a fully normal school year. Now that Bishop Noll is back to normalcy, the scale is set to be used in the fall of 2023. 

BNI will be the last high school in the Diocese of Gary to transition to this scale. The scale is similar to the old scale but adds weights to pluses and minuses. In a situation like this, a 90% in a class is no longer a 4.0; it is a 3.7.. Additionally, honors classes will be weighed on a 4.5 scale instead of a 5.0. 

The grading scale change is happening for a variety of reasons. One of the main reasons is to create equalness. As of right now, Bishop Noll uses a 10 point grading system. The 10 point scale does not differentiate pluses and minuses which creates some unfairness for students who earn grades that are closer to the next letter grade. Another reason for the change is trying to reset the system throughout the diocese’s high school’s. Other schools such as Andrean and Marquette are also using this grading scale as well now. 

The new grading scale has left mixed reactions from both teachers and students.

“I’m nervous about the new grading scale. One slip up and my grades will be affected,” said junior Andrea Mendoza. “Although I’m worried about the change affecting my GPA, I think it will help motivate me to try harder and put more effort into all of my classes.”

Although this change has left many students worried about how much this will affect their GPA, it will help motivate students to try harder and work for their grades. 

“One of the main reasons why we decided on this scale was to make students’ grades more reflective of their efforts in the classes, it will also encourage students to study more as well, said Rebecca Dostatni.”  Along with hoping that the scale change will motivate students, administration and members of the board hope that  students’ grades will reflect their standardized test scores such as the SAT. 

In order to prepare for next year, students are taking the initiative to make a plan on how to maintain their current GPA. 

“I plan on working ahead of time instead of procrastinating,” says Mendoza. “I will take advantage of the time teachers give me and will ask questions if I don’t understand material. I will use this as a motivational factor to do better in school and spend more time in my classes”.