Team chemistry key to post-season run for boys soccer

Boys look to overcome streak of mid-season losses to advance past sectionals

David Mendoza, Staff Reporter

The boys soccer team credits their team chemistry as the reason for their success on the field this season. With a record of 5-6, the team now looks unstoppable and their on-field interaction intimidates all other rivals.

Gabe Anguiano, senior, shoots past a Hebron player

Senior Gabriel Anguiano says that unselfishness will benefit one another on the field.

“Opponents won’t know who to mark, considering both our midfielders and forwards can all score and create opportunities. That’s definitely our biggest strength this season, something we haven’t had in awhile here at Noll,” he said.

Head coach Armando Garza agrees with Anguiano, and also gives the team’s mentality props for their success.

“We are hungry and learning as we go along,” Garza said “Our offense and midfield is creative and unselfish. Our defense so far has held up well.”

Anguiano says he knows what the team is capable of and his job is to support, encourage, and motivate the team to play to its potential.

The younger soccer players have stepped up to replace the 8 seniors that graduated Noll last year, and according to Anguiano, they are doing a good job of keeping the team secure the W’s.

Garza says the team has gained talented freshmen, and also has good experienced players.    His main concern is to have a solid defense that can perform solid under any conditions and any team.

“Our goal is to continue playing well. Win conference and go as far as we can when sectionals approach,” Garza says. “Our highlight would be to get past sectionals and move forward with a healthy and knowledgeable group of players.”

Anguiano knows what the team is capable of doing this season. He is supporting, encouraging, and motivating the team to play to its potential. And most importantly, his eye is on the prize.

“What game am I most looking forward to this season?” Anguiano asked. “State Championship.”

The boys play tomorrow at 7:00 at home against Covenant Christian.