Boys basketball looks to replicate success of last year with young, fresh team

Robert Aguirre, Sports Editor

The Bishop Noll boys basketball season is now upon us with the Warriors ready to make some noise. The season begins on November 19 at Crown Point High School.

Last season the Warriors finished with the record of 19-8 in the regular season and were led by seniors Roman Penn, Kodi Greenwell, and Akil McClain. They went on to lead the team up till the Regional championship but sadly fell to Fort Wayne Canterbury 65-62.

One player that will lead the Warriors this season is senior point guard Myles Whitfield. Whitfield has been a part of the Varsity roster since he was a freshman. Last season Whitfield averaged 3 points per game, 1.1 rebounds per game, and 0.4 assists per game. Although his stats did not show dominance last season, he worked a lot over the offseason to improve his game. This summer he worked on his shot off of the dribble and ball handling, hoping to model his game from NBA idol’s Chris Paul, Isaiah Thomas, and Damian Lillard.

“Myles is expected to produce a lot this year,” said Jason Barker.

The main ingredients from the 2015-2016 Warriors roster are now gone. The three leading scorers Penn, Greenwell, and McClain have gone on to play college ball. The Warriors will look for new players to step up and take that roll. Junior transfer Jaelon Brooks and senior transfer Jason Barker are some key additions to the roster who will look to make some noise.

Barker is a 6’4 point forward, meaning he can dribble the ball like a guard and play down low like a forward. Some people may compare his game to Kevin Durant or Brandon Ingram because of his body type; tall and lanky.

Barker lost some time of working on his game due to football season, but that didn’t stop him. Over the summer, Barker worked a lot on his ball handling and shooting with his AAU team.

One more player who was a surprise to most people last season was freshman sensation Corey Landers who will look to be just as dominant in his sophomore year. Last season Landers averaged 8 points per game, 3.7 rebounds per game, 1 assist per game, and 1.9 steals per game. Landers provides the team with amazing athleticism and hard-nose defense.

The schedule has seen a little bit a change this year, the Warriors dropped Marian Catholic and picked Highland on their schedule. Of course, they will still play arch rival Andrean on February 24 at Bishop Noll.

Although this season may be a rebuilding one for the Warriors, the team is still hungry to get to what they want, the State championship.

“I expect that we will surprise a lot of people this year. I know that we will win a lot of games this year and turn some heads going into the postseason,” said Barker.