Bowling Article

Moira Deel, Staff Reporter

Bishop Noll’s girls and boys varsity teams have been pretty impressive this winter season due to increased numbers on both teams. The girls varsity took on GLCC schools in conference competition at the Plaza Lanes in Highland on Nov. 16. Although Griffith won with pinfall of 1690-1667, the BNI Girls came back from a 112 pin deficit.

Bishop Noll boys lost to Morton 6-14 in their 10 game baker set. The total pinfall was Morton 1397 and Bishop Noll 1323.

Behind the scenes, the team bonds and builds off of each other’s strengths. Ameer Lawrence, Bishop Noll junior, said “I think that the team’s strengths this season is their ability to get along with each other and being able to laugh and grow past their mistakes, whether we are throwing gutters or forgetting to say our cheers loudly.”

More students have joined the team this past year, and the teammates who have been in the sport longer help the newcomers with practice.

“Bowling is a fun and flexible sport whether to play by yourself or with your team,” senior Yajaira Valdez said. “It takes a lot of time and practice since you have to change your positions and hit different arrows.”

Lawrence, who has been consistently ranked one of the top bowlers by Indiana High School Bowling, was ranked #1 with a score of 227 during the Dec. 9 meet.

Both boys and girls teams are looking to end the season with a majority of wins.