Football Team Going into 2018 with Optimism

Rebecca Aguado, Staff Reporter

With a new football season approaching quickly, Coach Wayne Racine is looking to turn over a new leaf. This past season was hard for the Warriors; they went 0-10. This is the third consecutive year that they have had a 0-10 season, totaling in 30 games lost.     

But with a new attitude for the 2018 season, new prospective players and a new coaching staff, the optimism for this rebuilding year is there. Racine thinks one of the most vital aspects of making his team great is the numbers. Last year, the team only had a total of 24 players. After losing some players due to injuries and various other reasons, Racine began to struggle a little. However, his enthusiasm for this team has actually grabbed the attention of students that were originally uninterested in the football team. According to the returning players, we can expect a larger amount of Warriors this year.

Some athletes don’t think they have the skills necessary for football, but Coach wants them to still come to try outs. “I’m not worried about skills, those can be improved and I know my players already have it. What we really need is for students to actually join. We need competitors, students that will strive to be better tomorrow than they were today,” Racine said.

When asked about breaking Bishop Noll’s current losing streak, Coach Racine said “I don’t want it to be all about winning this year. I think we focused on that way too much last year and that’s what kind of messed us up. Football it isn’t about the win, it’s about the people.”   

Bishop Noll’s current losing streak in football doesn’t phase him at all, and he doesn’t want it to affect his players either. Coach Racine has a whole new plan for his football team, including a new line up of coaches. Bishop Noll has changed head coaches three times in the last three years, but Racine isn’t planning on leaving the team any time soon.

Coach Racine has truly dedicated himself to the Bishop Noll football team.

“I love all of my players, and I’m going to miss the ones who are graduating. That’s just the kind of bond this game creates. If I needed one of my former players tomorrow, they’d be here today.”