Boys Basketball Fall Short in Sectionals

Matt Feddeler, Staff Reporter

The boys basketball team lost in the opening round of the sectional tournament to Marquette Catholic on March 2, 76-47. 

The game started off rocky for the Warriors as they were unable to put up points in the first quarter. 

“We didn’t come out with much energy to start,” said junior Ahmad Artis. “That’s what led to the 19-2 start.” The Warriors refused to give up, though, outscoring Marquette in the second quarter 20-18. 

“We had a great run with our bench coming in and showing out,” said freshman Danny Garza. “It gave us the confidence that we could come back and win this game.” 

The Warriors went into the locker room trailing by a score of 37-22, but had all the momentum in their favor at the end of the half. 

At the beginning of the second half, the Warriors picked up where they left off in the first half by starting the third quarter. The Warriors kept trading baskets with the Blazers in the third quarter, but had trouble stopping their ability to move the ball up the court quickly. 

“It was hard stopping [Marquette’s] half court offense. It was mostly them moving the ball on fast breaks,” said Garza. 

Heading into the fourth quarter, the Warriors trailed 54-37, where Marquette put the nail in the coffin. Marquette finished up the quarter with 22 points as a team, where Bishop Noll only scored 10 in the fourth. 

“If we played them now or played any of the teams from this season again I feel there would be many different outcomes,” said senior Everett Lamberson. Despite the Warriors finishing with a record of 3-17, there is a lot of promise for the future. This team was one of the youngest in the region, with 12 of the 15 listed players being underclassmen per MaxPreps. 

“We can’t wait until we play them again,” said Garza, “We got that loss stuck in our heads and we can’t wait to beat them the next time we face them.”