Freshmen lead this year’s swim team

April Sepulveda, Staff Reporter

The Bishop Noll boys and girls swim team has begun practices and is looking forward to a successful season led by a string of strong freshmen. They are coming back with a full team after several key members were not able to swim last year due to being virtual students. 

The co-ed team starts their mornings together with practice at 6 a.m., Monday through Friday at Calumet High School in Gary. This year’s swim team isn’t as big as the last following years. The team has seven boys and seven girls. 

“Last year because of E-Learning, we weren’t able to have a full team,” said head coach Jacque Lelo. “One of our strengths is that we are a small team. Some might say this is a disadvantage, but this gives us the opportunity to get to know each other better.” 

Lelo expects the girls team to place high at sectionals. 

This year’s team has many returning swimmers such as junior Anna Gee and also many new swimmers such as freshman Maximum Kubon. 

Anna Gee is a junior and has been swimming since a little kid. Gee said that this year’s freshmen are super fast and “they’ll be a secret weapon at meets”.

Kubon has been competing in swimming for about 8 years now and is a three-sport athlete participating in both football and track as well as swimming.

“My experiences with swimming have been nothing but good. I love the sport,” Kubon said. “I highly recommend trying it for those who haven’t.”

The swim team’s next meet will be on December 2nd at Hammond Central.