The legend Larry Bentley

Noah Lewis, junior Bats against Hanover Central on 5/3/2021

Peyton Sperry, Staff Reporter

Larry Bentley was part of the Bishop Noll family and the baseball team he sadly passed and now BNI is supporting his name.

“This is the first year we will host the Larry Bentley Alumni Classic, which will take place during our game against Griffith at Dowling Park on Friday, May 6 at 4:30 p.m. “This game will honor Coach Larry Bentley for his tremendous dedication to Bishop Noll, its students and baseball program,” said assistant baseball coach and admissions director, Mr. Jeff Stur ‘98. “Coach Bentley, who passed away of cancer in 2015, made a positive impact on so many students and players, and we will honor his lasting legacy during this game.” 

The coaches had an idea about what to do in memory of Larry Bentley and they decided this.

“Last year, Coach Bentley won Bishop Noll Warrior Madness and Coach of the Century, and we wanted to make sure we honored him for winning such a prestigious award,” Stur said. “Coach Bentley did so much for the students of Bishop Noll as a teacher and the baseball program as a coach. This event is not only to honor his success with our baseball program but also the lasting impression he had on students as a history teacher for more than 30 years.”

Admission to this event is free. Tailgating before the game is highly encouraged.

“With this being our first year, the Bishop Noll baseball staff will oversee this event.” Stur said.

The baseball team chose The Kube Sports Complex to host the event because of the proximity and its connection to Bishop Noll.

“Location was a big part of the decision since Dowling Park is right next to The Kube. It’s also home to our Bishop Noll hockey team so we have a great connection with the owners,” Stur said. “They have been very supportive of this event and we look forward to working with them to host a great evening.”

Any donations received will go back into our Bishop Noll baseball program to help with season expenses.

Following Noll’s game against Griffith, friends and Bishop Noll community members are invited to attend the after party in the lounge area of The Kube.

“A great deal of fellowship among all in attendance,” Stur said. “We will also share stories and present his family with a plaque that honors Coach Bentley.”

Larry Bentley was an inspirational person to BNI in many ways as both a teacher and a coach.

“I’m not sure there are big enough words to describe the tremendous impact Coach Bentley had on the entire Bishop Noll community. Whether you had him as your History teacher, your coach, or both, he taught you life lessons and always found unique / creative ways to relate to you. He truly was an inspiring mentor who always wanted the best for you. I don’t think you’ll find too many people who didn’t like the classes he taught. From a baseball coach standpoint, he was very well respected by BNI players, opposing teams and their coaches. He would challenge his players to be their absolute best and loved all of them like they were one of his own sons. Coach Bentley was a special man who will never be forgotten.” Stur said.

If this event goes well, there’s a chance it can come back in the future and coach Stur is hoping so too.

We plan on making this event a regular occurrence every season moving forward,” Stur said.“Each year, we plan on enhancing the event after we get the first one under our belts.”Larry

This event is honoring Larry Bentley and what he did for BNI. This event will take place at the Kube Sports Complex and there will be a game between BNI and Griffith.