Girls Soccer Team

Girls Soccer team head into sectionals with high hopes

Grace Buksa, Staff Reporter

The girls soccer team won their first class IA sectional game against Hebron on Thursday, Oct.6 with a score of 4-0. They will play Andrean in the sectional championship on Oct. 8 at 2 p.m. at Andrean High School.

Juniors Arianna Magallanes and Alessandra Lopez have faith that the team will be able to overcome the many challenges they’ll face in postseason. 

“I’m getting myself into the right mindset by not focusing on the other teams and their records,” says Magallanes. “I have confidence in my team that we can beat Andrean as long as we go into the game with a positive mindset and work together as a team. Me and the rest of the team are making it a point to take care of our bodies by icing and going to the athletic trainer to get taped.” 

The team has faced many obstacles throughout the entire season with many injuries and losing some of their most valuable players from last season. Despite the challenges that have come their way, they’ve managed to persevere and win four regular season games out of 10. “We’ve had many ups and downs throughout the season but we’re trying to focus on the ups as we enter into sectionals,” Lopez says. “Our team goal is to play and work together as a team to win as many games as we can. We can beat Andrean but we have to communicate and encourage each other on and off the field.” 

The biggest asset the team has is their bond. All of the girls are extremely close and work well together. “The entire team is super close,” Lopez says. “Our pregame ritual consists of praying together and jamming out to music on the bus drive to games. Our tight bond has definitely helped us win games and has made the environment that we play at much more positive.”

The team’s most valuable players include juniors Arianna Magallanes, Frida Gonzalez, Bella Magallon, Gabby Magallon,  Suley Acuahulti and senior Maria Carbajal.. With the guidance of their coaches and the success from their most valuable players, the girls team hopes to make it out of sectionals and advance to regionals.