Academic Super Bowl teams get new coaches

Caitlyn Grcich, Copy Editor

The Academic Super Bowl teams underwent major changes this year, but spirits are high and expectations are even higher. Mr. Mark Miller, part of the math department, has taken over the leadership role that belonged to Mr. David Tutacko up until this year.

“I had participated as the math coach for the past three years, so I already knew the work that was involved and how the competition runs so it was an easy decision for me,” Miller said.

While Miller is the new head person for the teams as a whole, there are two new coaches as well. Mr. Miller will continue to coach the math team, Ms. Dostatni will continue to coach the science team, and Mr. Carioto will continue to coach the fine arts team. However, the arrival of Ms. Mullaney as the English coach and Mr. Trafny as the Social Studies coach have some big shoes to fill in coaching the areas that are former competition winners..

Mr. Miller added that there were a few freshmen who signed up, and he “thought it would be more difficult to get students to sign up, but each team had enough members to sign up”. While students signed up, teams and team captains have yet to be finalized, as each coach needs to meet with those that signed up.

“Most practices will start after the first of the year. It is up to each coach to schedule their practices”, Miller said, also adding, “The regional competition takes place in April of 2016 at Wheeler High School”.

While none of Noll’s teams are weak, Miller sees the need to concentrate on preparing the math team. saying “The math team was extremely weak my first year, but we have improved each year. I plan to practice more frequently with my team to help them place better during this year’s competition, and maybe even make it to state”.

Hopes are high for the entire group, but there is particular pressure on the English team this year, especially being led by new coach, Ms. Mullaney. Last year, the English team made it to the state competition last year at Purdue. The team placed fourth out of their division, led by a strong veteran team and coach, along with a first-time freshmen.