Several area high schools closing, in danger of closing

As closest private high school to afflicted schools, Noll could see boost in enrollment, faculty or staff

Caitlyn Grcich, Social Media Editor

Several schools in the surrounding area may be closing their doors for good. Seton Academy in Illinois, which has not raised enough money as well as the pressure of a steadily declining enrollment to stay open for another year, is closing. Bowman Academy in Gary has lost its charter from Ball State University, as they did not comply with the one-year renewal letter it received last year, according to an article in the Times, which had a statement from The Office of Charter Schools at Ball State.

With all these schools in the area closing, Bishop Noll is a prime candidate for transfer students, however, this also raises numerous questions regarding this influx of students.

While these schools are closing or at risk of closing, Bishop Noll does have some students interested in transferring for the 2016-2017 school year, and as the current school calendar winds down, the admissions department expects to hear from more interested families.

“We regularly receive some interest from families whose children are considering a transfer; it wouldn’t be uncommon for students from these schools to contact us,” said Mr. Paul Mullaney.

According to Director of Admissions, Nancy Repay, there has been a large influx of students from Seton calling to either tour and/or shadow Bishop Noll, as well as calls on what it takes academically to transfer into Bishop Noll. On Friday, January 29, four students from Seton Academy shadowed at Bishop Noll, scoping out what could be their new school. While incoming students do not have to take an entrance exam if they are transferring, there are requirements that have to be met. Students who wish to transfer to Bishop Noll must have the following: a minimum GPA of 2.5, no D’s or F’s on their report card, and a clean discipline record.

“After a student has met all of these requirements, they are called in for an individual interview with me and other administrators,” Repay said.

While Bishop Noll is prepared for the possibility of the student body to grow, Bishop Noll will also have to adapt with such a sudden but expected influx of students.

“Even though we are at a 14-year high with our high school enrollment, we [the administration and school board] are not talking about installing a cap [on enrollment] quite yet”.

While Bishop Noll has risen in enrollment over the past 14 years steadily, there has not been a huge increase or decrease in tuition. If there are in influx in students, both Mullaney and Repay believe that tuition will stay at relatively the same price.

Along with Bishop Noll being geographically close to both Seton and Bowman, Bishop Noll is also widely known for being the least expensive Catholic school in the surrounding area.

“We will continue to work hard, however, to keep Bishop Noll as the most affordable sanctioned Catholic high school in this immediate region, on either side of the state line,” Mullaney said.