Bishop Noll celebrates first ever Blue Mass, a mass honoring police officers and fire fighters

Campus ministry hopes to make this an annual tradition as Noll rolls into its centennial birthday

Carlos and Guadalupe Sanchez, parents of sophomore Carly Sanchez and Chicago police officers, bring Fr. Kevin Scalf, campus chaplain the gifts.

Shawn Haugh, Managing Editor

Today’s media outlets often show law enforcement around the country in a bad light. But a recent social movement to honor police officers for their role as protectors and to hoist them back into the distinction they once held has now infiltrated the Catholic church.  People on social media have been using the slogan “#BlueLivesMatter”, this is to show their support of law enforcement around the country. Blue Lives Matter (BLM) is actually an organization that was founded in 2014 after two NYPD officers were ambushed in their patrol cars and were killed. The mission of BLM is to raise awareness and encourage the public aid for the need of police officers, to help police officers help one another, and to provide a police officer’s family with comfort and support as they go through hard times. People are also showing their support for this movement by also using the hashtag “#thankublu. Bishop Noll showed their support of this movement on April 13th by naming the all-school Mass a “Blue Mass” to honor and celebrate law enforcements around the area and the world. This was also a time where we can remember those who have fallen in the line of duty trying to protect us citizens. Local law enforcements and fire personnel were invited to Bishop Noll to join with the facility, staff, and student body in honoring and praying for all those who risk their lives on a daily basis to protect the rights of others.

Fr. Kevin Scalf, Bishop Noll chaplain, was actually the one who thought of the idea to have the Mass. When Scalf approached the administration at Noll in January about the idea, he said he was “overwhelmed” by how supportive they were. After the approval of the Mass, Noll began to invite law enforcement and fire departments, along with parents and alumni.

“Letters and emails were sent out to the fire and police chiefs of every town or city where BNI students live in Indiana and Illinois. We also invited BNI parents and alumni through the school’s email and text messaging system,” said Bishop Noll’s Campus Minister, Ms. Stacia Bolakowski.

Although attendance was low–only 15 police officers and fire department members showed up–the region was well represented. Law enforcement officials from Griffith, Highland, Hammond, and East Chicago were represented, as well as the Chicago Police Department and Lake County (IN) Sheriff’s Department.

“I believe the Blue Mass was the most beautiful liturgy we have had all year,” Bolakowski said, “From the student participation to the music to the homily, it all came together seamlessly to honor our guests and their families.”

Bishop Noll hopes to make the Blue Mass an annual event in the future leading up to Bishop Noll’s 100th anniversary. Each year, Noll hopes to see more and more law enforcement and fire department representatives join in on the celebration. Some changes that might take place next year would include a reception following the Mass with those from law enforcements and fire departments along with some facility and students from Noll. This might encourage more people to come and it would be a great chance for the law enforcement to see the support for the community first hand. Bolakowski also will be working with local law enforcements and fire departments to see what what day and time would be best for them to attend so that more people can come and be honored.

“It was well received by all. Several of the police officers in attendance said they would let everyone in their departments know how special it was so that they could make plans to attend next year,” Bolakowski said.