JourNoll editor receives scholarship to attend Washington conference

Destinee Flowers, Photography Editor

Junior Caitlyn Grcich has always wanted to be a writer. Last year, she found her calling as a sophomore by writing for The JourNoll, and her interest in the field of journalism began to take root. After applying to the Washington Journalism & Media Conference event held at George Mason University, this year’s managing editor found out through one simple email that she was one of three high school students in the entire country to receive a full scholarship to the event. Her scholarship allowed her attend the conference, which cost about $2000 total.

“When I got that email from the program directors, Elena and Amy, I was beyond elated! It said that I had received a scholarship, and that because of my interest and dedication to journalism, that’s why I was selected. I had to register myself, fill out all these forms, but it was concrete that I was going after that,” she said

To prepare for the week-long conference in July, Caitlyn was told that it would be to her advantage if she read a few books from the listings they gave her, since many of the people we were to meet were these published, big-name journalists and media moguls. Grcich read a book by Terry Anderson about his seven years being in prison throughout the years, and  looked up some of the speakers that were announced along the way.

She met and attended conferences with Brian Lamb, founder of C-SPAN, and four-time Pulitzer Prize winner Carol Guzy, who has traveled to Bosnia as a journalist and even photographed Hurricane Katrina. Among other speakers that Caitlyn met at the conference were Gary Knell, the CEO of National Geographic, and Jamie Smith, special assistant to President Obama.

Between her travels and conferences, Caitlyn learned a lot about the field she intends to study in college.

“I think the biggest thing I got out of this experience is that journalists write for the people. We are a voice for everyone else. We have to think of our writers, our photographers, our editors, our artists, and everyone in between as a single unit. We are the only as good as our writing. We can’t write trash; otherwise, we’ll look like trash. We can’t not take a risk because if we don’t, we’re putting others at risk. I  can’t even begin to explain what I took away. I think the biggest take away was that everyone single person in the journalism world is part of a unit. We are like a body, we all have to work together if we want to be successful,” Caitlyn said.

Caitlyn received a college credit through George Mason University, which is transferable. She also has a chance to go back next summer and be a student leader and can nominate other students to attend WJMC. Caitlyn even has press credentials and a scholarship opportunity to attend George Mason for college.

“I have all these big name journalists at my fingertips, so the world of journalism is there for me whenever I want it to be.”

But right now, Caitlyn would really like to go to more conferences or camps.

“I say this not just for me, but it gives Bishop Noll a name and a good reputation, too. I would like to go down to Ball State for their journalism camp, but I have a busy schedule and financially it’s stressful, so I don’t know how much I would actually be able to do. I would like to take on an internship at either National Geographic or work with Carol Guzy to further myself if I can prove that I’m good enough to work alongside her. Both are options for me either my senior year or beyond,” Caitlyn said.