Going international

Many study abroad programs offer learning experience, but others may simply be money-makers

Erica Campos, Front Page Editor

Picture it: the Sweet Caribbean breeze, palm trees all around, your feet in the warm sand all while taking in the gorgeous view. Seems like the perfect way to “study” abroad right?

In recent years, the amount of students aspiring to travel abroad has grown immensely. Schools encourage students to “broaden their horizons” and study in different parts of the world. Countries like London, France, and Spain are among the most visited countries for studying. While there, students are able to be plunged into a different culture, learn different traditions and customs, and even learn a new language.

Some students study abroad to learn a specific culture to help further their knowledge of a certain country. The country that they choose might be because of the historic significance pertaining to their individual field of study. Other times, students choose to study in a foreign place strictly for the experience. Studying abroad allows students to learn certain lessons outside of the classroom and sometimes learn lessons that would have been incomprehensible if not leaving their native country.

There are different ways a student at the high school level can study abroad. For example, they can join an exchange program for along period of time. Some students join an exchange program in which they live in the other country of study for months. They live with a family that has agreed to take care of them for their time spent. Another way, is for a group of students to come together accompanied by a chaperone to visit and study for a few weeks at a time. They stay in hotels rather than with an exchange family, and stay for a shorter period of time. Either way of study gives a student a look inside another culture and the ability to lead different customs than their own.

Here at Bishop Noll, students are given the opportunity to study abroad as explained in the second example. Mrs.Wilson offers the opportunity for students, not only in her French classes but to the whole school, to take a two week long trip to France. The trip also spends time in London on the way to France, and one day in Belgium. While on this trip, a student is allowed to experience certain museums and historical sites. They also get to have the opportunity to stay with some students from a high school near Paris and sit in on some classes.

The France trip that is offered by Mrs. Wilson costs about twenty-six hundred dollars. This fee includes room and board, tours to different spots, plus airfare. The trip includes places to tour such as The Eiffel Tower, Versailles, and the Louvre. Mrs. Wilson is currently looking for interested students who are interested in taking this opportunity to see and view the world.

The France trip is not the only opportunity for one to study abroad at Noll. Mrs. Aguila and Mr. Chico also chaperone an annual trip to a country of their choice. The trip is again open to the entire Bishop Noll community. In previous years, the trip has visited both France and Spain, and Italy. On this trip students pay a fee of about 3 thousand dollars to cover their airfare, hotel stay, and some meals. While on this trip students get to take in the sites and enjoy the foreign cultures of the world.

Senior Rachel Carlassare had the opportunity to take the trip to Italy this past summer. She notes this trip as being “the best experience” of her life. She states that the trip cost her $5,000. This fee was due to the fact that she signed up late, but still included five different hotel stays, two meals a day, tours, and round trip airfare. The trip to Italy went to Venice, Vatican City, and Rome and was all brought to life by tour guides who taught them about the historical significance of each place.

If summer is a time for you to strictly stay home and relax, then Ms. Nui’s trip to China this year could be the best for you. The trip costs three dollars for room and board in elegant hotels along the trip. This three hundred dollars does not include airfare, that must be bought on your own. The trip takes place during spring break, unlike the other two options provided previously. Chinese culture will be taught along all the stops of the trip and is truly a unique alternative to the traditional summer studying options.

Studying abroad gives students the ability to travel to places that they have never seen before. For some families, taking a yearly vacation is not possible and so the next best thing for a student is to let them travel the world. On these trips students do not only learn about different cultures, they also learn how to take care of themselves away from home.

“The trip to France and Italy are different from a regular vacation because mom and dad are not with me.  In a sense I have to take care of myself and become responsible,” said Carlassare.

Just as most high schoolers in the nation, the students of Bishop Noll seem to really have taken a liking to these opportunities to travel and see the world. It is shown to help a student to become ethnically diverse and more culturally educated, which can help students joining a work force growing more and more foreign. If you haven’t thought of traveling this school year, maybe it’s time to adjust your table in the upright position and strap in your seat belt because it seems to be a great way to learn!