First month running

Despite initial backlash, cell phone policy is creating a less chaotic, more productive school environment

Caitlyn Grcich, Editor-in-Chief

We are a month into the school year. A month into–for some of us–the last time walking the halls of Bishop Noll as a student. We are also a month into brand new rules and regulations from years beforehand, especially the biggest rule, which is now actually being enforced: no phones during the school day for the most part.

I get it – it’s a little upsetting. It might feel like your “freedom” is being taken away, but it really is for your own good. Teachers cracking down on the rules, forgetting about the incentive for a moment, want you to pay attention and do what is best for you. They are genuinely concerned about your future.

Parents sacrifice huge amounts of time, money, effort, and energy to send you here. You waste that time typing away on your cellphone to a boy or a girl who isn’t necessarily that important in the grand scheme of things. You waste that time you could be learning by talking to your friends who you’ll see in the halls and at lunch; but instead, you have just got to tell them about that super mean teacher who gave you a detention pulling out those knotted-up headphones that you know you aren’t meant to have. I mean, how rude!

While students have been upset about not being able to have their phones any time after 7:45am until lunch, then not again until school is dismissed, it appears that student productivity has went up. People are getting to class on time, they are doing the work they need to do in class rather than simply sitting there, and they are actually socializing and communicating with their peers, and not just through memes.

According to an a study conducted by Kaspersky Lab, a correlation between productivity levels and the distance between participants and their smartphone was found.

When their smartphone was taken away, participant performance improved by 26 percent. The testing was conducted under four separate circumstances, beginning with the subject’s cellphone in their pocket, then on their desk, locked in a drawer, and lastly, removed from the room entirely. It was found that concentration was poorest when the phone was on the desk, but best when it was removed from the room entirely.

However, despite the students slowly adjusting, it appears that the parents of these students have had a harder time adjusting. Parents wonder how they will contact their child now since their child cannot have their phone on besides during lunch, but they can still contact them through the school. Teachers have telephones in every single classroom, as well as email and instant message from staff to faculty in the event of an emergency. While these parents may want to keep tabs on their children as much as possible, the rules must still be followed, for all parties involved. For these parents, despite the “new” rules, it appears that they have forgotten about the fact that before the rules became stricter, students were still expected to follow a no cellphone policy.

Students, you are gaining a quality education here, so to spend your time scrolling down a phone screen and listening to music rather than having to pay attention to your teacher and the curriculum that you are learning, is a great disservice to yourself. Three in the afternoon isn’t that far away, trust me.

Parents, the money that you dish out every single month to send your child(ren) to Bishop Noll is an insurance policy of the safety of the school. Every month you pay that money, you are being assured that your child(ren) are safe, secure, and well taken care of.

If you are so worried about your children, cash in on that insurance policy and call the office, not your child’s cellphone. Use the services Bishop Noll offers so that you too can follow the rules, leading by example.