Sophomore shows love of Greek mythology

Aquyla Ollie, Staff Reporter

Briana Diaz is a sophomore with a passion for Greek Mythology.

From peppering little bits of trivia about Hermes and Aphrodite into friendly conversations to using entire family trees of goddesses as school projects, this Hellenist knows her hobby of classical antiquity is more than just a casual devotion.

“Since elementary school, I always liked the idea of Mythology,” Diaz says. “It made me almost kind of escape from reality and dabble into myths and legends.”

Diaz has read three published literacies of mythology,and she also has many other books about Greek Mythology. As a collector of memorabilia, she hopes to get Olympian figurines or plushies to further support her obsession.

Even though Greek Mythology can sometimes be to understand and keep track of the long lineage of gods and goddesses, she has taught herself to understand it the family trees.

“There are HUNDREDS of gods and goddesses in which had their children and then their children had children with humans and then the children had children with monsters— it’s all very easy to get lost in the giant family tree,” Diaz says.

In Greek mythology, there are divine characters, mortals, and demigods–the offspring of a mortal and a god.

Diaz says that it’s easy to make connections between Greek mythology and the real world. There are powerful gods who rule over their different dimensions, but still do things that are wrong and immoral. And since they are gods and have so much power, they become arrogant and think they can do whatever they want.

“There are lies, betrayal, murder, assault, all in the name of their own instincts which I believe we can also find in our society today”, Diaz says.

Diaz’s favorite god is Hades, the god of the underworld. He can be seen as evil, even though he is just stern and unpitying.

“If I were to describe Hades it will be like a bored, average office worker just doing their job,” Diaz said.
Her favorite goddess is Hestia. She is the goddess of hearth and home.

“She was kind of the glue to the family and whenever the Olympians would get into heated arguments she just kind of watched in boredom considering it was an everyday thing,” Diaz said.

One of her favorite stories is the story of Hades and Persephone. In the story the god, Hades, who was lonely while spending his time in the underworld. And he usually never leaves to go out into the sun. One day, he did and he met Persephone, who is the daughter of Mother Nature.

“She was very bright and almost like sunshine personified, the exact opposite of Hades”, Diaz says.

They eventually they got married and Persephone became the queen of the underworld.

“I’m not sure why I’m so drawn to this story, maybe it has to do with the idea of ‘opposites attract’”, Diaz says. “Or maybe I find it sort of funny how this dark, emo-look-a-like, ruler of the dead falls in love with a bubbly, pastel-dressed, flower-obsessed person.”

Diaz plans to use her in her future. She really wants to become an archeologist. Not only is she obsessed with Greek mythology, but is also fascinated with World History.
“Just the thought of seeing how we go from who or what or whenever time period to our advanced civilization now. It also plays into the question from our time now will be considered history, how will the future reflect on ourselves from the now?” Diaz says.