BNI plans first full prom since COVID

Prom check-in. Guidance counselor Mr. Kevin Smith is excited to be checking in students at the Whitting Park for their first prom last June. Last year’s prom had to be outside due to COVID and social distancing.

April Sepulveda, Staff Reporter

Bishop Noll class of 2022 will be attending their first prom. Last year’s prom was a modified COVID-friendly version where graduating seniors were the only guests in attendance. Prom will take place on May 21 at Villa Cesare in Schererville from 6:00-10:30 p.m.. This year’s theme will be Enchanted Forest.

Mrs. Jennifer Florek, director of communications, is in charge of decorating and planning this year’s prom. 

Floreck said the prom committee intends to make this years’ prom unique and different from other proms to give the seniors a taste of what they didn’t get to experience last year. 

“The prom committee opted to go with heavy appetizers (wings, meatballs, fried ravioli, fruit tray, cookies, etc.) that will be served buffet style,” Florek said.. “This will allow more time to socialize and dance without worrying about a big sit down meal. There will be a photobooth and DJ as a professional photographer. There will be lots of photo ops.”

Florek also expects a big turnout with both the classes of 2022 and 2023 being invited to the prom.

“We foresee having a very large turnout to prom and that should be great! It will be nice to have everyone be able to be together for such a momentous occasion and it was so sad the past two years to have to cancel prom and then last year, to have only seniors,” she said.

Tickets this year are $70, a $10 price increase from other proms. Tickets for prom will be on sale from May 2-6 after school.

“The cost of food and services has increased since the pandemic began with large increases in recent months,” Florek said. “Venues have increased prices to cover those extra costs.”

Senior Addison Mosley said that she’s excited for this year’s prom and is already planning her experience. . 

“This year I’m most excited about the whole prom experience. I’m excited for the getting ready part, the actual dance, and afterwards,” she said. “I’m super excited about the pictures because I know that they are going to turn out amazing and because pictures hold a lot of memories.”

Mosley explains to us how she tends to make prom extra special and her plans for after prom.

“I plan on making prom extra special by spending time with my friends,” she said.” I feel like since it is my last year, I want to enjoy this last dance with the people I care about.The plans I have for prom are having my prom send off with my date or friends. I plan on talking pictures with everyone. I want to get outfits and t-shirts with my friends for our after prom look.”

Florek shares her excitement for the seniors and her wishes for them to have a great night.

“Students can look forward to a beautiful room with an enchanted forest theme. There will be great music that students can help choose by filling out the song request Google form sent out earlier this week. It’s going to be a fun and elegant night out,” Florek said.