BNI junior starts service project for local charities

Mariah Robinson, Staff Reporter

Project Now, a service project started by junior Arianna Magallanes, is collecting basic necessities for those in need. 

Magallanes and four other HOYB leadership program ambassadors intend on sending care packages to the the less fortunate and distributing them to homeless shelters and kitchens in Northwest Indiana. She is now in the process of making Project Now an all year round club at Bishop Noll. 

“Each one of our volunteers collects their own items, and usually at the end of the month we come together to create the care packages,”Magallanes said.

All items will be distributed to local charities.

“My goals for this project are to collect as many toiletry items as possible,” Magallanes said. “I want to help as many people that I can, even if it’s a little bit. Since collections are coming to an end soon, I plan to start creating the care packages in the next week or so. The Project Now team plans to create at least 20 care packages by December.”

Bins are set up on each of the floors of the school hallways and students are encouraged to drop off donations, such as nonperishables, clothing, toiletries, toothbrushes, shampoo and-,baby wipes.

“We need our school’s help!” Magallanes said.“These items don’t collect themselves, we need you guys to donate! All are welcomed and appreciated. If you wish to start your own collections or want to know more on how to get involved please email me @[email protected]!”