Invasion of the nerd culture Comic book superheroes, sci-fi characters are mainstream in movies and on TV, but how long will this trend last?

Moira Deel, Staff Reporter

Everywhere you go, you might see advertising for Star Wars Rogue One and new superhero movies including Doctor Strange and the upcoming Spiderman Homecoming. Even on television and Netflix, there are many superhero shows that have gained a popular following: The Flash, Arrow, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Supergirl, and Gotham are all huge money-makers and carry a devoted audience. In stores, especially around the holidays, action figures, clothing, even cereal boxes don the images of  these action-packed, beloved movies. Twenty years ago, though, this trend would have been delegated to cult interest only. Comic book readers and sci-fi lovers may have been the only ones brave enough to admit their love for this trend.  So why has “nerd culture” become so popular? Is it the beloved characters in these shows/movies? The exciting, puts you at the edge of your seat storyline?

Junior Abel Alejandre says otherwise.

“The nerdy culture had a boom in growth due to three main things. First is the sort of situations that all three cover from replicas of racism( X-men), ideas into war (Injustice and Civil War), and even the trying to accept who you actually are as a person,” he says.  “Secondly, is the mainstream movies from MCU, to Original, Prequel, and cartoons of Star Wars and the Christopher Nolan Batman to Suicide Squad. They have been making pretty darn decent movies, TV shows, comics, crossovers and characters, which make this nerd culture explode. Lastly, comes the extensions [to the movies].”

Many people agree that it is the characters that pull them into these movies and shows. People relate to these characters’ personality and lifestyle.

Junior Lennard Zarndt agrees saying, “My favorites would have to be Batman, Spider-Man, and Anakin Skywalker. I relate to them because if you look at all three of those characters as a person, of all people, you wouldn’t expect them to be in the position they are in, whether it’s Anakin ultimately leading the Sith, a billionaire like Bruce Wayne fighting crime as Batman, or your common high school “nerd” like Peter Parker fighting off all these other characters to keep New York City safe.”