Theatre seniors have bopped their way to the top

Bishop Noll Seniors seniors prepare for their final musical and talk about the impact theatre has had on them

Destinee Flowers, Photo Editor

Theatre is something that many people may not find as important. But to some, it is their creative outlet. It is their way of expressing who they are and expressing their emotions they otherwise couldn’t. They’re all in this together, and they’ve made dreams come true in many ways. Seniors are on for their last play, whether they’ve been on a stage like Tianna Orr, Elisa Da Silva, Amelia Chavez, Anthony Duckett, Bianca Stavrakakes, and Edward Zarndt or off the stage like Megan Martinez, Antonio Magana, or Emily Rojas, they’ve been through a lot.
Some have been in theatre since their freshmen year like Tianna Orr, Amelia Chavez, and Megan Martinez. They all started out as “crewbies” or crew members for the play “The Breakfast Club,” which was the first play they experienced in their high school career. Some started later like Antonio Magana and Anthony Duckett, who have only worked in one play, “Murder’s in the Heir” and is currently rehearsing for musical “Into the Woods.” But time doesn’t matter, what matters is your passion and dedication to the art.
Tianna Orr joined theatre because she has always loved performing and it was always something she was interested in. “I felt as though I was telling a story to the audience and I had a purpose every time I walked on stage.” Orr’s most memorable and impactable role would have to be Mayzie La Bird from “Seussical The Musical.”” My character for this show was confident and kind, which allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and be someone I didn’t know how to exactly portray. From Mayzie, I did take away confidence on and off the stage. My advice that I would give to my freshman self would be do not be afraid”.
Anthony Duckett became interested in theatre when he took a theatre class with Mrs Conley his junior year. The class combined with some persistent nudging by some close friends convinced him to audition for the Fall play his senior play. His first role would be Bensonhurst the butler in “Murder’s in the Heir.” “The whole process was incredibly fun for me. From rehearsals, all the way down to the last show I had so much fun.” Since Duckett only started joined theatre this year, he feels as though he didn’t experience enough of the theatre program here at Noll. Duckett is interested in continuing theatre in college. It has become a huge part of his life this past year and he wants to see where it can take him. “One piece of advice I would give my freshman self is to just go for it. If there’s something you want to do or try, don’t let anything stop you from doing it. Your time in high school is going to go by fast, and you don’t want to regret missing out on an experience like this one.”
Emily Rojas and Antonio Magana are a part of crew. They help put together the amazing shows everyone comes to see. Antonio Magana has only been a part of crew for one year, his senior year. For “Murder’s in the Heir,” he was a part of stage crew, for “Into the Woods” he is a part of tech crew. “I joined theatre because I wanted to do as much as possible during my senior year. I wish I could have joined theatre earlier.” Emily Rojas has been a part of stage crew for 4 years and theatre allowed her to escape her shell, branch out, and acquire leadership skills she otherwise wouldn’t have. “Young Frankenstein impacted me the most because it introduced me to the world of theatre and all of its benefits. Something I would tell my freshman self would be, why didn’t you join sooner, but it is better than later.”
“Don’t let your fears control your future and want to do. You never know where it could take you if you don’t take the chance,” said Edward Zarndt. Zarndt been in theatre since his freshmen year and joined because of his friends. His first show was “Seussical The Musical” and he played one of the Wickersham brothers. Zarndt has directed two One Acts, which are student-written and directed plays and those are some of his memorable moments.
Bianca Stavrakakes first show was One Acts. She was able to play the Joker and a girl who got shot by her best friend. She had some pretty intense roles to start off her theatre career with. “It felt so amazing to take on another persona and perform in front of others as that persona. I wasn’t really Bianca and It is honestly so therapeutic to get out of your own head.“ In college, Bianca plans on performing for fun since she isn’t majoring in it. Her most memorable role would have to playing Sharpay Evans in “High School Musical” which Bianca would consider her childhood fantasy. “It was so much fun being able to act like the queen B, it really made me feel confident in real life knowing that my inner Sharpay was only a line away. There was so must nostalgia and good-hearted fun at rehearsal that I had to look forward to everyday. I will always keep that show close to my heart. My advice for future drama kids would go for it! We spend too much of our lives concerned with making a fool of ourselves and that is exactly what Drama is all about. It’s about not caring what others think and just giving something your all no matter how foolish it may feel. Nobody is going to judge you and if someone does then they aren’t worth caring about.”
“Follow your heart, make the choices you think are right and help the club in any way that you can, because it is so worth it in the future,” says Amelia Chavez. Chavez has been in theatre for 4 years and joined theatre theatre because she had always taken an interest in acting and shows, but she was never given the chance to actually do theatre until high school. Her cousin was enrolled at Noll and was in the theatre club and helped her get settled in as a freshman which was a huge help. Chavez’s first show was “Young Frankenstein” and she was apart of the ensemble. “It felt amazing to be under the lights singing my heart out.” Now as senior, Chavez does plan to continue theatre in college, most likely community, but it all depends on where she decided to study. “It saddens me that this is my last chance to share the stage with everyone before we go our separate ways, but that feeling doesn’t even start to compare to how proud I feel towards everyone that makes this club so wonderful. I don’t wish anything else because I can always improve on what I need in the future.”
Megan Martinez has helped with played since middle school, but she considered her freshmen year being the year she became seriously involved. Megan is the head of prop crew, and the first show she was ever a part of was “The Breakfast Club” which was the fall play my freshman year. “I thought it was so cool to see how everything was put together. I’d always seen plays and musicals that Noll put on growing up, and getting to see how it all came together was just magical to me. That’s why I stayed with the Drama Club. I loved helping to put a show together and then seeing how the finished product comes out.”
“High School Musical” was definitely one of the most memorable for me. I was super excited because it’s my favorite movie and I’d always wanted to be a part of a production of it. Finding and making all the props for the show was the most fun I’d ever had. I loved being backstage and watching everything from the wings. “The Breakfast Club” impacted me because it was my first experience with the Drama Club, and that was the first time I really felt included in something since I’d gotten into high school.
For four years now, Elise Da Silva has been in theatre, and since being in theatre for four years, Elise has found out that theatre is very therapeutic to her. “My first show was “Young Frankenstein” and I was a part of the ensemble. When I was on that stage, I felt so alive! I decided that this was what I wanted to do for the next four years.” Elise think Ms. Withers from “Murder’s In the Heir” was the most memorable for her. “It was so much fun being on stage without singing. I honestly couldn’t believe why I hadn’t just acted since I was a freshman. Don’t ever stop doing what you love and never settle for less. Get out there and show the world what you’ve got!”
“I don’t think it’s really set in that this is the last real production I’m going to be a part of for Bishop Noll. It’s kind of a strange feeling knowing I won’t have to come back next year and worry about props anymore. I’m really sad because I’ve made so many friends and had so many opportunities thanks to the Drama Club. I wouldn’t change my experience with them for anything,” said Martinez. Theatre isn’t just some class you take, it’s a life-changing experience. Don’t you forget them.