A call to action

Campus ministry intern Nina Hartman learns the ins and outs of student ministry in preparation for joining the Dominican Sisterhood

Destinee Flowers, Photo Editor

For Nina Hartman, the interning assistant in campus ministry, the call to serve God has led her to seek out student ministry at Noll. Since starting here in December, the Andrean grad has helped lead and plan retreats with campus minister Stacia Bolakowski. But the workload isn’t mandatory as part of a college-work program; instead, the 20-year old Saint Mary’s College sophomore is voluntarily learning the ins and outs of campus ministry on her path to join the sisterhood.

Hartman has known Bolakowski since she she was born. For a little over 20 years, they have gone to the same parish and their families have been friends for many years. She was also a student of Bolakowski’s at Andrean. Following her high school graduation, Hartman continued in touch with Bolakowski as she currently pursues a double major in French and International Relations at Saint Mary’s College in Notre Dame. She is planning to minor in either Italian or German.

Hartman came to Bishop Noll in between studying abroad in France and Austria.

“Because I am somebody that likes to be doing things, I decided to find something meaningful and helpful to do with my time back in America. After a lot of praying and trying to listen to God, I felt a tug in my heart to contact Ms. B and see if I could help her here at Bishop Noll,” she said. “Although I would have loved to be at Andrean during these two months and am sure that I would have been welcomed back there, the thought of being able to work with Ms. B and also being able to serve with students that I had never met before brought much joy to my heart! For whatever reason, I feel that God wanted me here during this time and that is enough reason for me!”

Hartman thought the experience at Noll would help her with her upcoming preparation for the Sisterhood.

“For several years, I have been feeling called to give more of myself to God and to give Him that ‘yes’ like Mother Mary did at the Annunciation. If being a Sister is truly my vocation, the religious order that I am hoping to enter is the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia, whose charism is teaching throughout the U.S. and the world,” she said.  

The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia was instituted in 1860 in Nashville, Tennessee. Hartman was able to stay in one of their convents in the Netherlands while helping the Sisters teach young children.

“Because of this, I thought that this time at Bishop Noll would be an enriching experience for both myself and also, hopefully, the students that I encounter here. Even though I am a Niner at heart, Bishop Noll is truly such a wonderful and welcoming place with so many beautiful and kindhearted people! I feel so very blessed to be here,” she said.

Bolakowski feels is an ideal candidate for this order.

“I have always known that Nina is a special person; her kind demeanor, compassion, and love of serving others has been evident from a very young age. She shared with me her call to religious life last fall when she approached me about helping out at Bishop Noll this semester,” Bolakowski said. “I don’t know much about the Dominican order; but I do know that Nina will be a wonderful addition to any group she chooses to be a part of. Nina is an excellent role model, and follows her Baptismal call to go out and preach the Gospel in everything she does.”