Frida’s Cafe in Hessville blends art and food

Caitlyn Grcich, Managing Editor

Located between the White Ripple Gallery and the now-closed Hessville Theater on what could arguably be called Kennedy avenue’s busiest stretch, Frida’s Cafe has quickly earned a reputation for being one of the best coffee shops in Northwest Indiana.

After being relocated from East Chicago to Hammond, after being closed for three years in East Chicago, it has garnered a following. Along with its relocation from East Chicago to Hammond’s Hessville neighborhood, it has become a favorite of young and old alike. Offering discounts for Purdue Northwest students with their student ID, as well as offering open-mic nights every other Friday, it has become a hotspot rather quickly.

Graced by a quaint atmosphere of celebrating Mexican culture and Frida Kahlo, it has quickly blossomed into a favorite area for young and old alike. From an eclectic mixture of modern and older art pieces to art made by local artists that grace the brightly colored walls to an equally eclectic menu, it has become a cult favorite.

With a menu ranging from frappes made with Abuelita chocolate drink mix and topped with a churro, and cookies based on the popular game, Loteria, the Mexican equivalent to bingo, both the food and drinks have garnered a following rather quickly.

Patrons enjoy the whimsical atmosphere and the food made fresh daily. With a menu just large enough to offer something for every palate, there is no shortage of options, especially with new items being added continually, and old items being phased out for a time.

Specialties include seasonal fresh fruit (3.00), tres queso in a telera (Mexican grilled cheese) ($4.50), and Cafe de Olla (traditional Mexican coffee with cinnamon and brown sugar) ($4.00, refills $2.00). However, desserts like crepes are slightly overpriced at 7.49 for three.

Despite having old school charm and a mixture of old and new, Frida’s cafe doesn’t seem to be going out of style anytime soon.

Frida’s is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Frida’s is closed on Monday. For more information, call 219-554-3140 or find them on Facebook.