Over 30 students receive COVID vaccine on May 3

James Beasley, Staff Writer

With the help of community members at Franciscan Hospital in downtown Hammond, Bishop Noll was able to bring an opportunity to get the COVID-19 vaccine for students. On Monday, May 3, over 30 Bishop Noll students were bussed to Fransciscan to receive their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine.

Although the vaccine was open to anyone 16 and over, there  was still a lot of uncertainty and worry among the student body.

“I felt confident in trusting science,” said principal Lorenza Pastrick. “It’s easy for us to be skewed one way or another by social media and devices”.

Pastrick says that to any student that isn’t comfortable with the vaccine to look to credible online sources to help build trust and clear blurred lines which are important as a consumer. 

Looking at next year’s school mandates, Pastrick thinks that if an entire classroom is vaccinated, then a face mask would not be required. But she hopes that now that the vaccine is open to anyone over 12, the majority of the student body will get vaccinated.

“100% would be great, but a more reasonable number would be 80% of fully vaccinated [students] by August 18th (orientation) would be great!” she said.

Senior Olivia Baczkowski jumped at the opportunity to get the vaccine.Baczkowski says that she thinks this was a great opportunity for students who have a busy schedule and may not find the time to go and get vaccinated sooner. Many colleges are stating that in order to attend the student must be vaccinated, which was a big motivator for Baczkowski as she is attending DePaul University the following year. 

“The only side effect I had was that my arm was sore if I lifted it above my head on the second day, so I was really fortunate and did not really have negative side effects, “ said Baczkowski. 

Some students may want a reward in order to get over their uncertainty. Baczkowski believes that a dress down day may do the trick or maybe even some gentle comfort. 

“I know I walked away with shortbread cookies and a sore arm and was satisfied,” she said.