BNI classrooms get air conditioning

Mr. Ed Watrobka, sophomore English teacher, instructs in front of one of the new air conditioning units. All classrooms will be outfitted with air conditioning by the beginning of the next school year.

Tayden Phillips, Student Editor

New air conditioning units are set to be in all classrooms by the beginning of the 2022-2023 school year. 

The air units  were purchased using funds from the EANS (emergency assistance to non public schools) Covid relief money. The government money was granted to Bishop Noll for the 2021-2022 school year, so Noll decided to allocate some of the funds to air conditioning. 

EANS granted the money with the idea that having air purifiers in classrooms would make the spread of Covid less likely. 

Besides from the units making class more comfortable, studies have shown that cooler classrooms make for better academic performance. 

According to a Harvard study, “ students scored lower when they had just experienced a hot school year than when they had just experienced a cool school year; low-income and minority students were impacted by heat more than others; and air conditioning in schools all but completely eliminated the impact of heat.” 

Ms. Samantha Chapleau, junior English teacher, also feels the difference.

“Heat tends to make students and teachers alike tired and lethargic,” she said.

Junior Krystal Maganas says that the AC units will help students concentrate because without the units students tend to focus on staying cool rather than their work.