Cheer team goes co-ed!

Chloe Calcote, Staff Reporter

The Bishop Noll cheer team is going co-ed. In addition to a new male assistant coach, the cheer team is using both male cheerleaders and lifters.

Currently, two boys are participating in the 2015-2016 football season: lifter Andrew Breclaw, senior, and cheer member Ameer Lawrence, freshman. Andrew says this is his first time being on a cheerleading team, but he says he has been surrounded by cheer because his older sister was a cheerleader.

Andrew says he has enjoyed his time on the cheerleading team so far. “Each time we have practice there is something knew to hear about. I also enjoy finding out all the drama that is happening in the school,” he said.

Because most of the boys that are interested in being a part of the team are football players, they will be joining the team for the basketball season. Andrew was on the football team last year but did not join the team this year because he was getting very bad headaches and made the choice to switch over. Although he had to give up a sport he loved, he is looking at male lifting as something that could be beneficial for his future.

“I plan on going into the military after high school. Learning how to throw someone, and also catching someone will be very helpful in a time of need,” he says.

In addition to head coach Juli Sandoval, assistant coach Ervin is a former cheerleader who intends to work on skills and techniques with the team this season.